Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Memories

On Wednesday September 16th we left Georgia and headed for Fulton, Missouri.
We passed the Atlanta Motor Speedway, but could not see it from the interstate, so I got the sign!!
It rained off and on all the way to Illinois, so I did not get many pictures. I even made Richard turn off his windshield wipers at one point to get some pictures in Chattanooga, but the rain was so bad that they did not turn out!
We finally make it to Illinois.....it took FOREVER to get thru this state. The speed limit for trucks is 55 mph, that is just way to slow!
we stopped for the night in Vernon, Illinois

The next day we made it to St Louis, Missouri. I remembered the last time that I was here was with my mom and grandpa. My grandfather had came to visit with us and my mom was suppose to take him home to his brothers house in Illinois. Then on the way home my mom was going to take me to see the St Louis Arch. When we got almost to my grandfathers brother's house, he told my mom that he did not want to live there anymore, that he wanted to come to stay with us. We took him to get all of his clothes and then off to the arch! I was only 7 years old. I didn't know at that time how much my life would change over the next 8 years. Grandpa coming to live with us was one of the best things that happened! He became every one's grandpa! He thought that I was the greatest thing in this world. He was always telling people that I was his GREAT GRAND-DAUGHTER!!!! He was so proud, I am not really sure of what, but he was always telling me how special I was. There are so many memories that I have with him and I can't imagine not having him here with us for those 8 wonderful years. One year for my birthday, we were in San Antonio at Fiesta Texas. I wanted to ride on this huge roller coaster and my mom was too chicken to ride with me. He told me that he would ride and he pretty much drug me up the ramp to the coaster. I think he was as excited as I was to ride, if not more. He even held his arms up in the air. Then when the ride was over he took his fingers and smoothed down his hair and told me how much fun he had and asked if I wanted to go again. Then later that day, we watched a show there at the park. After the show was over with, he got the 2 best looking guys and told them that it was his great grand-daughters birthday. They came over and picked me up on their shoulders and sang to me. Years later when I was about 14, I had driven the car down the road to a friends house....yes my mom knew! When I got home he was outside in his usual spot, and as I pulled into the carport I hit the house. It only made a little ding on the wall and nothing to the car. I looked up at him and his mouth was hanging open. I knew that I was in major trouble. I got out of the car and he looked at me and said "Don't worry I won't say a word" He never did! I ended up confessing later. He was the BEST!!!!! I got a little off the subject, but I wanted to share a couple of my favorite memories! I know now that he is in heaven looking down and is so excited that I am getting to ride around in this big truck. He sure would love the truck!

The arch off in the distance.....we were still about 10 miles from it....
getting closer....

the last time we were here we rode to the top....



Mississippi River

side view of the arch
downtown St Louis

one last look!
Mark McGwire Highway
and of course......a bridge!

Missouri
and then off to Iowa!

1 comment:

  1. You have brought tears to my old eyes! You are truely blessed with all these wonderful memories!He sounds like a "Great" Grandpa!He lives on in your memories and all the love you hold for him in your heart!

    ReplyDelete