Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday August 7, 2009

This morning we headed to Dodge City, Kansas to pick up 40,000 pounds of meat. We had to drive on several hundred miles of US highways. We would much rather be on interstates. We saw a lot of flat land and more windmills and oil wells. The land is so pretty in Oklahoma and Kansas. It just makes the trip seem like it takes a lot longer because everything is so flat. Once we got to the meat house, we had to drop our empty trailer and pick up a loaded one. While Richard was doing all of that, I was sitting in the truck watching all the other trucks pull into the meat house. I had to see all of the cattle haulers pull in with these poor little innocent baby cows to be slaughtered. It broke my heart, so I had to cry a little, and then I vowed never to eat another piece of meat. I guess I am just too tender-hearted. We then left and headed to Olathe, Kansas to get Richards truck fixed. On the way to Olathe we stopped at a truck stop and yes I had meat. I know, I am such a bad person. I just can't give up my meat, but every time I put a piece in my mouth I was thinking about those poor little cows. We finally made it to Olathe about 7:30 and they put us in a nice hotel for the night. We were able to get a room with a king bed, which was wonderful because that is what we are use to at home.

The road just looks like it goes on forever and ever

and we came across some more windmills

small little town in the middle of the Texas and Oklahoma state lines

the first time I have ever been to Oklahoma

more flat land

and the first time I have been to Kansas

Dorothy's House in Liberal, Kansas

and guess what........

yep, more of nothing!!!

Dodge City, Kansas

a big truck and a big tractor meeting on a small 2 lane road....kinda scary!

we were so glad to see an interstate sign, we were hoping to see some form of civilization once we got on I-70



Capital of Kansas in the background

and the first of many race tracks we hope to see along the way!

Kansas Speedway from I-70

and again!

Brass Pro Shop in Olathe, Kansas


and we finally make it to our room for the night.....

I bet people thought that we had never stayed in a hotel before!

1 comment: